* John Quincy Adams = * Drafted a "circular letter" for Massachusettes assembly to pass and circulate to other colonies. * Abolition = * The act of abolishing a system or practice or institution (especially abolishing slavery) * Missouri Compromise = * an agreement in 1820 between pro-slavery and anti-slavery factions in the United States concerning the extension of slavery into new territories * Henry Clay = * United States politician responsible for the Missouri Compromise between free and slave states (1777-1852) * Annexation = * the formal act of acquiring something (especially territory) by conquest or occupation * Nullification = * the states'-rights doctrine that a state can refuse to recognize or to enforce a federal law passed by the United States Congress * Manifest Destiny = * This expression was popular in the 1840s. Many people believed that the U.S. was destined to secure territory from "sea to sea," from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean. This rationale drove the acquisition of territory. * McCulloch v. Maryland * 1819, Chief justice John Marshall limits of the US constitution and of the authority of the federal and state govts. One side was opposed to establishment of a national bank and challenged the authority of federal govt to establish one. Supreme court ruled that power of federal govt was supreme that of the states and the states couldn’t interfere * Worcester v. Georgia = * Supreme Court Decision - Cherokee Indians were entitled to federal protection from the actions of state governments which would infringe on the tribe's…
had developed on the island of Crete by 2000
Mutapa-southern African empire established by Mutota
Narmer- first king to rule a united Egypt
Nebuchadnezzar- Chaldean King known for the Hanging Gardens
New Kingdom-period of ancient Egyptian history that followed the overthrow of the Hyksos rulers
Nineveh-Large Assyrian city known for its great library
Nok- an African people who lived in what is now Nigeria
Nubia- kingdom of south Egypt
Papyrus- a tall reed used to make a paper like material…
-Because the American System was approved, the Second Bank of United States and unified currency was created.
John Quincy Adams
James K. Polk
-Favored annexing Texas, started war with Mexico
-Led to expansion of US into California, Utah, Texas, Arizona, Oklahoma, Florida, and Nevada
William Lloyd Garrison
-White radical abolitionist
-Establish newspaper The Liberator
-Delivered an uncompromising demand: immediate emancipation
History Final Study Guide
Priest: people who lead the sermons in the church (are less powerful than a bishop)
Bishop: someone with a high social class who monitors church activity in a specific
Diocese: a governing body that includes several churches. An area that a bishop is in
Cathedral: the head church of a region which the bishop rules
Archbishop: Someone who has authority over several dioceses so they oversee many
governing bodies which include many churches…
US History Unit 1 Exam Study Guide
1. Colonist came from England to free themselves from religious persecution.
2. The Virginia House of Burgesses marked the beginning of a Representative Democracy, in what is now the United States.
3. The Mayflower Compact was the first example of self-government. Pilgrims needed to govern themselves if they were going to survive in the new colony they were about to form.
4. The French and Indian War was when the British and American colonist…
Honors US History I
Americans must stay on the East side of the Appalachian Mountains.
Imposed by British
Olive Branch Petition
Last petition to British to leave the U.S. alone
All federal documents must be approved and stamped with British Stamp
U.S. (Gates) defeated British at Saratoga, NY
French arrive and help
Treaty of Paris 1763
borders are: Canada (North) to FL(South)…
(soviet union) vs. Capitalism (US) ; trade, free market, we need places to go with our product.
Dictatorship vs. Democracy
B. Establishing the Post-War World
1. World Bank & IMF US $7 billion to each Stalin refuses
Bank responsible for allocating loans and help reconstruct Europe WWII
IMF- coincides with the world bank, regulating exchange rates with other countries, stimulate growth, invite Stalin..he refuses when he finds out us will be there. Stalin see the US as trying to use capitalism…
book became a bestseller and converted tens of thousands of people.
Anasazi was a group of Native Americans that built stone architecture, believed to built for defenses. This showed us that ancient people were able to perfect handcrafting and primitive tools early on. The structures also gave us an idea of part of the ancient Indian living style and civilization.
Saratoga was a fort. It was fought over by the colonist and French. The colonist won the battle and it gave the…
c. Alexander anointed as pharaoh of Egypt, declared to be “son of the gods”
3. Alexander died in 323 b.c.e.; empire divided into three kingdoms, ruled by Macedonian
4. Alexander’s conquests were most important in world history terms for creation of the
Hellenistic era (323–30 b.c.e.)
a. dissemination of Greek culture through much of Asia and Egypt
b. role of cities in spread of Greek culture
i. Alexander and successors established many cities
ii. many thousands of…
[pic]Which technologies were used by the earliest Western civilizations? [pic]
Stone, wood, leather, and fibers[pic]/ 1st appearance of tools (bone, wood, stone)
(Paleolithic “Old Stone Era”)
What conclusions may be drawn from a study of the Iceman and the materials found with him about what he did and what he was most likely to have been?
[pic] He was probably a hunter or a shepherd who was accustomed to spending months each year in the high country. He pulled an arrow out of…